Sunday 24 July 2011

Work Experience at East Midlands Today - Research and On Location Shoots

Speculative letters are a great way to find work experience, as I have found out. I wrote to East Midlands Today to ask if I could come in to shadow a researcher in their daily work. I got so much more than that. I received an email from a lady called Fiona. She asked me if I would like to come in to the BBC studios in Nottingham to get some work experience; of course I said yes! So off I went to the studios in Nottingham and met Fiona at reception, as she was coming into work. We went upstairs and to the newsroom and logged me onto a computer. I was asked to make some phone calls about an upcoming news story. I rang many people and managed to arrange meetings to suit both parties. After I had successfully made the appointments, I was asked to go to a meeting with Fiona and two others, one of which was the producer. We looked over possible news stories and selected the most interesting and the most relevant to the East Midlands. I was allowed to have an input in the meeting so this was good experience. After the meeting I was taken to the studios to watch the live news broadcast. “Switching to camera 3 in 4, 3, 2, 1”. Listening to the countdown for the camera changes made me feel exited to be involved in the airing of the news. It was a really good day and I learnt a lot I was looking forward to going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment