Sunday 24 July 2011

Day Two at East Midlands Today - On Location - Shooting the Protest


On day two of my work experience, I was asked to research a particular set of organisations in order to get an interview with one of them. I had personally researched the news story and managed to secure an interview (I found this out after I had left as the Fiona had emailed me to tell me and thank me for my help).  I was just sat waiting for someone to ring back about an interview and one of the camera men came over to Fiona to ask if he could ‘borrow’ me. He said he needed my help as they had to go out on location and he needed someone to guide him backwards as he filmed the protesters. I jumped at the chance to go out on location. We went to Forest Recreation Ground where the pensions protest was taking place. It was quiet at first until the protest started. Then it was really lively. Before the protest started I was asked to walk around and speak to people to see if they would like to be interviewed. I gathered people for interview and I was asked by the camera man to guide him whilst he was filming backwards (due to health and safety). To my surprise my contribution to the research and filming was shown on the news at lunchtime when we returned to the studio. I watched it as I sat at the computer. They have televisions everywhere in the newsroom. When I got home I watched my work again on the evening and night East Midlands Today. I was contacted the day after my work experience and thanked by the shadowed researcher. I have been asked to go back in the summer, so the speculative letter worked.  I was so proud to be involved; it was a great experience and I would advise everyone to write, write, and write. Believe me it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment