Sunday 24 July 2011

Speculative Letters are the Way Forward - Meeting with BAFTA Award Winner Diarmid Scrimshaw

Write, write, and write! There are many different examples of speculative letters online, so it’s easy to find a basic template. I have gained most of my work experience through writing letters. I even got to meet a BAFTA award winner that way. I wrote to Inflammable Films to ask for work experience, I received a reply from a BAFTA award winner Diarmid Scrimshaw (script supervisor for This is England and producer for Arctic Monkeys Scummy Man Short amongst many others). He happened to be in my hometown the next day so we met up for a coffee and spoke about my future plans and he told me about a couple of new projects that were in the pipeline. This is the sort of contact you need, but remember everyone is a potential contact. Volunteer to help out where you can as this is a great way to build up your portfolio and also a great way to build up contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment