Sunday 24 July 2011

Editorial Assistant for International Journal Transgressive Culture - My Work Experience


So I wanted to get some work experience. I was still at University studying sociology and film and television studies and I really enjoyed writing my essays. So I thought I need something that will link me to writing and publishing. I wrote to lecturers at the University of Derby and I got a reply! I was asked to come in to speak to the lecturer as he needs some help with an international journal Transgressive Culture (Gylfi Ltd). I went to meet him at the University and he told me that he would make me the Editorial Assistant for the journal; which has now been my voluntary post for nearly a year. He needed to me send numerous emails and received emails from him that he had received from contributors. He asked me to set up an email filing system and I maintained all the email records. I was asked to follow up on work that had not been submitted on the deadline and keep in contact with international authors. I was asked to go to a conference at De Montfort University. The conference was called FILFs and Fangbangers. It was a vampire conference which was fantastic as I was currently writing my dissertation on the evolution of the vampire myth so I was in my element. At the conference I networked and mingled and got a few people to contribute to the journal. I handed out flyers and asked someone to mention the journal to the people at the conference; which she did. I had a great time and met many contacts. I have even been asked by the Editor of the journal to act as a research assistant on the journal whilst I commence the MA in Horror and Transgression at the University of Derby. This MA is everything I would love to see in a degree so it is perfect for me. But it’s funding that’s the problem. I’m desperate to find a part time job, so I can fund myself through it. Fingers Crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment